12.11.12

Black Letter Grid

After reconsidering the form of the books and how the series will work together I started to think about what other typefaces / styles of lettering could be used to create new grids. I started to look at black letter typefaces as they are extremely different in terms of principles and physical appearance to Futura or the other sans I have been working with. I mapped out different grids around the letter forms and started putting designs into illustrator and printing off single strips of grids to see how they worked.




The grids are relatively hard to follow but I think that's a nice element, the user really does have to practice and use the grids to find the best way of using them. I will feature a short page about the typeface that inspired the grid in the book with some samples and let people make their own conclusions.
-
The first document shows the initial sketches when thinking about how the grids will look as well as a few print outs and type tests. The second shows the digital progression with the grids and how I applied the shapes and lines based around the typeface.

No comments:

Post a Comment