17.10.12

Type Development

_______________________________________________________________________________

I have been working on my typeface development for the spices brief. As this is going to be the basis for the rest of the design for the project I need to make sure that I get it right now to save myself a lot of hassle in the long run.

I have been working from Goudy old Style which can be seen here, with simple annotations of the initial changes I wanted to make to the typeface.


The squared off shapes are really interesting but I don't feel they are appropriate to the audience I am targeting for the brief.
-
The bottom left R is interesting but I would have to test this style at a range of distances and scales until I was happy with the final result.
-
 Thinking about how the type could be refined and playing with legibility was one of the main routes of exploration.
-
I think it would create some really nice display forms but nothing suitable for body text as it would lose too much of its readability.
-
Also 'C' is one of the easier letters to work with, will try with a few harder options.
Playing with the slants could be interesting, almost creating an avant guard version of a serif typeface.
-
Here I started drawing some of the letters free hand rather than slightly altering the original thorough tracing, I need to start using a compass and ruler to refine the type to a higher standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment