23.10.12

Spice Typeface

I have managed to finish my initial experiments with the typeface for the spice of science brief. I experimented with the idea of a stencil typeface as a reference to chemistry and warning labels, but I don't think its as sleek as it needs to be. Could be suitable for the chilli packaging.
-
The second has the serifs completely flattened so they meet at a point not a straight edge, but this will need some major reworking before I can progress.
-
I will continue to edit the typeface in fontographer to apply to the periodic table.
-
The bottom sample has the same serifs but they have been straightened out from the original typeface giving a clean fresh outlook on a traditional typeface - essentially the same as what I aim to do with the spice packaging.
-
The image underneath hi-lights where I have straightened out parts of the letters and where I have altered the curves to create the typeface better suited to the project.
-
Still needs a lot of work - will start working in fontographer on the typeface and progress from there.


____________________________________________________________________

Separately to this I have been progressing with my choice of typeface to represent herbs. The one that immediately stood out to me was Cooper black and although I really don't like the typeface I think it has the most relevance to herbs. It fells organic and natural, plus the ampersand has a real relation to herbs I feel with its form looks like the movement of a leaf.
-
After some discussion with Mr Flanagan, we felt that Albertus could be a good typeface to use, its subtle serifs work well and it fits with the custom Goudy Old style I am working with for spices. The only issues are first the ampersand which I will need to completely redesign and that it might make it harder differentiating between herbs and spices on the table / packaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment