7.12.12

The Devil's in the Tittle

The concept behind the book is the beautiful detail, and design that has gone into the Johnston Sans book. The aim of the book is to inspire and educate young creatives on the traditions of typography and the reasons behind different typographers aesthetic choices. It dies in nicely with my dissertation and discusses the effect the computer is having on type and why it has somewhat destroyed the theory involved in typeface design. Because of how easy it is to put type onto a computer and get instant results people often make ammeter mistakes (I'm not saying I am an expert, I am fully aware I still have a huge if not endless amount to learn.
-
Although I planned on making this a one day brief I will extend it to Saturday just to make sure its a bit more considered and a more rounded project.

The grid uses 12pt leading with 10pt text. 10mm margins and 5mm gutters using 22pt text for headers making sure there is consistency in the type across the page.
-
The type could be dropped to 8pt but I felt it was a bit small given the amount of writing in the publication. I have it all typed up into a sticky, I just need to re-word sections and order it to portray my desired message.

A major part of the booklet is explaining why Johnston decided to use a sans serif typeface, and is in many peoples eyes considered the first Sans serif ever created.
-
I have kept the end columns empty leaving me with more leeway regarding the bind, but I may possibly explore bleeding the images to the left of the page. 
Focusing on the quote from the brief 'the devils in the details' the slight rewording works perfectly with the interesting diamond tittle of Johnston Sans.
-
Simply using enlarged diamonds from the top of the letter should help communicate the content of the book to those who aren't aware of the specific names within typography.

No comments:

Post a Comment