16.2.11

OUGD102 - Self Evaluation

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?


The first skills that I have improved on during this module are my methods of collection and organisation. Through set work for collection 100 I have discovered new ways of categorising my research and visual work. This in turn has widened my knowledge and understanding of infographics and how they work.

The second set of skills I have developed through this module are based around the concept of a book. Having experimented with and used pagination as well as having a introduction to bookmaking I have realised the importance of planning and completely rethought the concept of ‘a book’

2. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

During this module I have taken a far more visual and physical approach to my research, especially during typoggateaux, and collection 100 where I took apart the shoe. This also meant my research was more interesting and a major influence towards my final designs.

During ‘what if’ we worked together and got a range of primary qualitative and quantitative research that gave us a more substantial body of research. This meant that are design work was far more informed resulting in an all round much more engaging project.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

The main strengths within my work are the visual elements, when working visually or physically especially in the designing stages I become more committed and motivated with my work. I will make sure that I retain this attitude to not only the design but the research stages of the design process as well.

Another one of my strengths within this module has been my experimentation with stocks, I will continue with this attitude and apply the same amount of experimentation with other areas such as print. Depending on the brief during the next module I am to get involved with screen-printing and other less digital processes.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?


The main weakness within my work is my primary research, when working on my own need to commit to more qualitative and quantitative research to give me more statistics and opinions to work with. Another area that I want to address over the next module within my work is my tone of voice for each project as well as the appropriateness of language.

The final area that I need to focus on during the next module is my attention to the target audience, I need to make sure that when doing project I really focus my ideas in the early stages rather than creating designs and then thinking about a target audience.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

  • I will pay far more attention to my target audience through primary qualitative research; this will result in better-informed and relevant pieces of design.
  • I will make sure that I fully understand the marking criteria so that I can answer the briefs to the best of my ability.
  • During the next module I will expand my knowledge of the subject by consistently blogging design that really interests me, or that I have little knowledge of i.e. design for screen and infographics.
  • Create a much wider range of designs and ideas throughout the design process so if one of them doesn’t work or isn’t appropriate I have other pathways to follow.
  • Explore alternative print methods and other processes, in particular screen print and the laser cutter (if appropriate)
6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance




x
Punctuality



x

Motivation


x


Commitment


x


Quantity of work produced


x


Quality of work produced



x

Contribution to the group


x



No comments:

Post a Comment